Sunday 25 May 2014

The most amazing month ever...Shanghai


We arrived in Shanghai in the evening and drove in a taxi into the city. I felt like I was in a movie driving through this big city with bright lights everywhere.

Our apartment was amazing!!! It had a view of the Bund, a view of the second tallest building in the world (the Shanghai Tower standing at 2,073 feet tall) and the apartment was so clean and modern. The apartments are for people living in the city and they are also for people on holiday. I would love to earn enough money to live in this apartment! It would be a dream to live there so long as I had friends in the city.




Shanghai is like a space bubble city. It’s so modern and western but still manages to have a Chinese feel to it! The pollution is not half as bad as Beijing and Zhengzhou! In the city we saw a Tesco shop, a Marks and Spencer store and even a TGI Friday’s restaurant! That’s how western the city is.

The city is very big though with a population of twenty two million people. We stayed in the centre so we only experienced life at the heart of the city.

When we arrived in the evening, the city was surrounded in a cloudy mist and most of the tallest buildings were out of sight in the clouds! The next morning we walked along the shopping street towards the famous Bund. It was raining a little and when we got there we realised the buildings could not be seen at all because of the mist! So we decided to go to the Shanghai museum to get out of the rain and hope for the best…that the mist would clear by the afternoon!




The museum was very interesting. Everything was about Chinese culture and history. The museum even had an exhibition on Chinese minorities which was very interesting! I visited Yangshuo and learnt a lot about Chinese minorities. I will talk more on this subject in my next blog post!

In the afternoon, the sky cleared a little luckily and we got some pictures with the famous skyline in the background! It’s a nice palace to walk although there can be far too many people as usual! People fight their way to have some pictures in the first spot they see after walking up the stairs. Walk away from the crowds and you can still get some good photos but with far less people!




My family were confused at the fact that Chinese people were asking for photos with us. They were even more confused at the fact that a Chinese man asked if his wife could take photos of me and him together! In the UK, if a man would ask his wife to take a picture of him with a young foreign girl, he would get a punch in the face from her! This wasn’t the first time a man had asked his wife/girlfriend to take a picture of him with me either! How odd!

There are many nightclubs in Shanghai but as I was with my family, we only went to some restaurants and bars. I saved the partying for when I went to Thailand! There’s a very cheap bar called Abbey Road. It’s clearly dedicated to the Beatles. It was my mum’s ideal bar! We also went to this all you can eat buffet. At the beginning we were unsure about eating there as it was expensive. But as soon as they mentioned that wine was included in the deal, we were sold! An all you can eat and all you can drink buffet would never go down well in the UK! People would definitely abuse the restaurant!!



We went to the Yuyuan Garden. It’s been in existence for 400 years and was built by a government officer of the Ming dynasty. The gardens are very beautiful and very Chinese! I recommend taking a look if you ever go to Shanghai! In Chinese gardens, there are always giant fish and turtles. The turtles are a symbol of longevity and fish are a symbol of wealth.






We went to the top of the sixth tallest building in the world, the Shanghai World Financial Center. The view from the top was very impressive! The weather luckily was good for us. I recommend going up there before sun set so that you can see the city by day and then by night after the sun set.






I also recommend seeing the Bund at night. The skyline is very impressive!! I thought the city would be in flashing lights all night long but surprisingly, they turn off many of the lights after a certain time! So the city isn’t as energy wasting as I assumed!




I feel like I should say that my favourite place that I visited in China should be some traditional and cultural Chinese town. However, I was very impressed by Shanghai. I do feel that making parts of China more Western destroys the originality of the country. At the same time, I’ve never felt so relaxed since being in China! It’s very Western but at the same time it has its traditional gardens and the taxi drivers don’t speak English, like in any other city in China! I always feel safe in China, even in Zhengzhou. In Shanghai, there are cameras and patrols everywhere, so I’m guessing Shanghai is probably one of the safest areas in China!


Next stop was…Yangshuo…

No comments:

Post a Comment