Sunday 1 December 2013

My first day of teaching!

Before coming to China I thought that Chinese children would be silent students. I thought it would be difficult to get them involved in the lessons.

I was wrong.

I sat in on John’s lesson this week, when he was teaching 9 and 10 year olds.
John had to keep asking the children to move their chairs and tables back because they kept pushing forward! I had to stop myself from laughing! They were so eager and excited! I definitely had the wrong idea about Chinese students; they are So lively and SO loud!! They are also just so cute!

I taught my first lesson today! (Saturday) I’ll be teaching Saturdays and Sundays, and then in the evenings during the week.

The classes have ranged from seven children to eighteen children so far!! I taught children between 6 and 9 years old! Our lessons today included; making a phone call; the life of the animals; my day; and go shopping.

The Chinese children have their own 'Western' names. There's quite a few Coco's. Two boys sitting next to each other were called Tom & Jerry, and a girl and boy that are dating are called Jack and Rose (apparently Titanic was the first Hollywood film to be popular in China!)

Amazingly there are more guy teachers than girls here. Yesterday, Lee, another teacher here, introduced me to one of the Chinese English teachers. When she found out that I was the new teacher she did a mini fist pump in the air! She was so happy to have another girl teacher here! Definitely makes a change to teaching back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment