Wednesday 25 June 2014

The most amazing month ever... Yangshuo



We stayed in a cute Tea Cozy hotel. Once again, it was different from the modern hotel and apartment in Beijing and Shanghai and it was also very different from the simple hotel in the Ping An terraces. It was in the countryside and it was so cute!



Being in the countryside means that there are more big bugs! I am not great with insects and I had the shock of my life one morning. We were sat at a table outside waiting for breakfast. A waiter calmly said to us ‘one moment please,’ and pulled a giant beetle out by it’s antenna from a crack in the table right beside me! He then threw it over the fence before coming back and asking if we were ready to order. All I can say is that my face must have been a picture!!



We stayed in Yangshuo for five days. We were worried that we would be staying there for too long. However, we didn’t need to worry as there was plenty to do! Part of the reason why we stayed in this hotel in Yangshuo was to try and avoid the crowds of Chinese tourists as it was a Chinese national holiday at the beginning of May.

We were so lucky with the weather!! The hotel receptionists said it had been raining for about two months and while we were there it was the first hot weather they had had during the year.

The land is flat in Yangshuo but there are around 20,000 mountains all around. This makes the landscape unique!! It is really quite spectacular!! 



We wanted to have a family bike ride. My Mum can’t ride a bike very well so she had to learn quickly!! What a beautiful setting we were in for her to learn too! There was a grandfather farming with his young grandson near by. They must have wondered what those silly foreigners were up to!! My parents rode a tandem bike and me and my sister rode individual bikes.



What was supposed to be a little bike ride turned into a five hour adventure on our first day. We were a bit silly though, we rode in the middle of the day with barely any water, no hats and we got lost! (That’s probably why we ended up cycling for five hours!!!) We stopped in an old village and bought some traditional Chinese hats. (My mum thinks hats are life savers in hot weather. She’s probably right too but I don’t like wearing hats! They just don’t suit me! However, these hats were different! I love them)!



By the end of the day, I had a stupid looking t-shirt tan (ok so it wasn’t a tan, I got sun burnt!) and my fingers remained white because I had been gripping the handle bars all day!

We went on a few bike rides during our stay. We also went on one with our guide. We went to a cave. I have probably seen more impressive caves in the past but the fact that the whole of the caves were lit up in different colours made it very Chinese and therefore, very different! It was like a 1970’s themed cave. You could also have a mud bath there. It looked like fun but I am not a fan of mud. Luckily, I wasn’t wearing a swimming costume so unfortunately, I couldn’t cover myself in mud!



We also saw a very big and very old tree.



We went to a Chinese minority ‘theme park’. This was probably one of the strangest places I’ve been to in China! The government had collected people from different minority groups around China and put them in one place and made it into a park for tourists. You could take a boat trip around a lake where different minority groups had prepared small dances, songs and performances. We also walked around a bit and sang songs (well we mimed as we didn’t understand a word) and we danced with them. A woman also threw a ball thing out of a window and I caught it. It meant that I will have good luck in love. (This better be true!!)











My sister and I went on a night out in Yanghsuo town. We went the day after the Chinese holiday had come to an end and so it was pretty quiet! However, we went to a foreign bar and it played good music. Some foreigners invited us to play beer pong with them and we spent a few hours drinking and talking with them, exchanging stories about our experiences in China.

 Our guide, Lily said that in fifteen years, the town had changed drastically due to tourism. It has changed so fast and so many people have gone to live there that the Chinese government has had to make an entire new town near by! Unfortunately, to do this, they will have to destroy rice farms and this is destroying the countryside. On one of our bike rides, we literally rode through what looked like a big building site. It was dusty and ugly! Another example of a place being destroyed by tourism!!




We visited an authentic fan and painting shop in a nearby village that Lily knew well. The owner was so lovely and she let us help make a large fan that was in the process of being made. She also gave us a very good deal on her items. Everything was handmade by her family. The oldest member of her family was eighty years old and the work that the grandmother had done was amazing! We bought three fans and a hanging picture for 600RMB. (That’s like £60 for four items of original handmade authentic Chinese art)!!!




After going to see the Shaolin Zen Musical Ritual near the Shaolin Temple a few months ago, I thought I would never be able to see another show that would be as good as it. In Yangshuo, we went to see a ‘Light Show’. Yet another spectacular show in yet another beautiful location on a lake surrounded by mountains. The man who put it all together was responsible for the opening ceremony performance in the Beijing Olympics back in 2008. Therefore, the performance was obviously brilliant!!! There was a very famous Chinese singer in the performance too.






We went on two boat trips. The first was a small raft that fitted two people. My sister and I paired up on one boat and my parents paired up on another. Their boat man seemed to know a lot more about what he was doing than ours. Ours must have been a beginner because he wasn’t very good at paddling. There are small drops all along the river and there is a special way to push the raft down without making it topple. The last drop was quite big. Our paddler missed the drop point and ended up going down a completely random part. Even from a distance I could see other paddlers looking at us in a worried manner. Luckily, our raft did not capsize and we remained mostly dry!





The other boat ride was a raft made for four people. Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t great and it gave the surrounding mountains near the lake an eerie look. It was a long boat ride, about two hours but it was strangely relaxing despite the rain!




We saw the location that is printed on the 20RMB note. It was raining and therefore I wanted to stay dry. I wish I had been more enthusiastic because it actually looks beautiful! My parents went and took lots of photos but I stayed dry in the car. How boring of me!!!



Another amazing thing we did was go on a cormorant fishing trip. We thought it would be a show but in actual fact, we went on an actual fishing trip. I have no interest in fishing whatsoever but this was something else!! The Chinese fishermen take the boats out at night and use these special birds to fish for them! So off we went in this boat with a fisherman and six cormorants on both sides of the boat.




 The fisherman unleashes them and sets them free into the water. They all have a string tied to their necks. The birds swim under the water, catch he fish and then come back to the surface. The fisherman catches them by the string with a hook and pulls them in one at a time. He then opens the bird’s mouth and the fish fall out into a bowl. It looks sometimes as though the bird might be getting hurt but it is harmless for the cormorant and this method has been used for thousands of years! It is really amazing! We were even allowed to hold them and have photos taken. My dad even took the fish out of the bird’s mouth!



Lily also took us to see a farmer's market. Bird flu did cross my mind briefly as we walked through the endless cages of chickens and ducks! There were so many crates of baby ducklings, chicks and rabbits. They were so cute! I really hoped that they would be for pets but I know the reality was that they were to be eaten! 



It was also my sister's birthday while in Yangshuo. She is a vegetarian and had a hard time finding vegetarian food while in China. A lot of people don't understand what being a vegetarian means here. Even Lily made us giggle by responding to my sister's vegetarian comment by saying, 'but you can still eat pork though right?' Luckily, we found a vegetarian restaurant for her. I have to say, I love meat but this restaurant had some of the best food I've ever eaten in China!!!

Yangshuo is a really great place. It’s very beautiful and charming. It is a place to go to experience real China!…But I am worried it will be destroyed by tourism!





Our next stop was… Chengdu

No comments:

Post a Comment