Friday 3 January 2014

Welcoming 2014 in China

For New Year’s Eve I usually spend it on Wind Street in Swansea or at home with my family watching Jools Holland on television and drinking wine. I’m not a huge fan of New Year’s Eve usually. If you go out, it’s busy, it’s expensive, no one seems to know where to go and it is always possible that you may spend the countdown in a queue or in a taxi.

This year I was glad to celebrate the New Year in a different place. My New Year involved no drama, no problems, no stress…just a lot of dancing!

Natasha had a head start, she had started drinking in her apartment while getting ready. Why didn’t I think of that? I’ve yet to work out what’s the best wine to buy here! We met some teachers at a bar. Unfortunately, we missed the live band because we took too long getting ready. (Typical girls!)

We did have difficulty deciding where to go. We tried a few different bars but they were all busy. For some reason, I didn’t expect the Chinese people to be out celebrating too! Everywhere was busy but not like it would be in the UK!

We eventually went to a bar and were given a table to sit at. The bar manager is a little in love with Natasha so we got ourselves a table easier than it should have been!
We got ourselves some cocktails and waited for the count down. John, another teacher had bought some Italian Prosecco and shared it between everyone at the table.

The count down was funny. I have only mastered 1 to 10 in Mandarin, so when everyone began counting backwards from 10 to 1 in Mandarin, that just confused me! I felt like I needed ten seconds in between each number to work out what came next!



After celebrating the New Year, the youngsters of the group decided to go to a club. We went to a club called V8. It’s a hip hop club and I was surprised to see a lot of young Westerners there. I didn’t get attention from Chinese people like I had in the other club I mentioned in my earlier blog! It was nice to feel as though I blended in a little, that I didn’t feel like I had ‘FOREIGNER’ written on my forehead!

The dance floor moved around in a circle. That was a shock the first time I stood on it. I wondered how I could be that drunk already before I realised that the floor was actually moving! The floor also felt like a trampoline. When people jumped to the sound of the music, I felt my self up in the air without making the effort to jump my self!

We danced the night away. It got to 3am and we were the only ones left on the dance floor. I grew tired and Natasha was the dancing queen and wanted to keep on dancing! We decided to go home.



As we left the club and waited for a taxi outside, for a brief moment, I felt like I was in Swansea again! To my left, there was a Chinese man passed out on the floor and stretched out like a star, a Chinese girl and boy were trying to lift him onto his feet to get him into a taxi and there was a random pile of clothes . To my right, a group of Chinese men were trying their best to walk towards another group of taxis. It must have been a difficult journey because it took them a long time to reach the taxis! There was also the unpleasant sight of where someone had been ill. The pile of clothes was a mystery because everyone was fully dressed near by. Where did they come from?

I smiled to myself. The Chinese would be challenging contenders against the Welsh when drinking is concerned.



I hope 2014 will be a good one for me, for my family and my friends!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Did you make any New Year’s resolutions? I have a couple…
  • I must not forget that I’m in China!...Now that I have settled here a bit better, it’s time to be a tourist! I haven’t taken many photos of the city yet. I haven’t seen any tourist sights yet either. So it’s time to go exploring and see some sights!
  • I want to learn Mandarin. (Not fluently! That’s impossible!) It would be nice to be able to understand some things though!
  • I must not forget the Italian I spent four years learning at University! So I need to keep practising it somehow so that I don’t forget it...

 I wonder what welcoming the Chinese New Year will be like!...

No comments:

Post a Comment